Monday, 14 September 2015

And now the good news...


A few years ago a reader commented that I have a tendency on this blog to make my job sound like hard work. What with all these tales of awkward students, culture clashes, linguistic train wrecks, plagiarists and cheats, you'd be forgiven for thinking we have a very hard time of it at the Little CHEF (Centre for Hammering English into Foreigners) But just as your local rag never tells you how many houses were not burgled in your neighborhood last week, Lathophobic Aphasia tends to regard only the exceptional as newsworthy. A typical day provokes no great hilarity or indignation, and though it might not be boring to live through, it would be to read about, especially for those readers who are not teachers.

So just to balance things out a bit, I paste here part of an e-mail I received on Thursday last week from a student from Saudi Arabia. She is a teacher herself who has been a student of mine since October last year. Similar sentiments were expressed to me (and no doubt to many more of our teachers) face to face by students on Friday, the last day of the course. I shall make no comment on it. I shall entertain no thoughts on the lines of 'do you really think it was anything to do with you? Why base so much of your self-worth as a teacher on praise from a very hard-working student who simply kept her half of the bargain?' No. This will not be permitted to cross my mind.

Dear Steve,
I clearly remember when I first came to this country and how I was confused , nervous and afraid of faliur. At that time, a lot of questions were buzzing around in my mind about Am I going to pass this real exam ? and how I can manage to survive and deal with the homesick. I went to my first class with all these negativity but once i step in my class and introduced myself and met my teachers and friends all these feelings immediately vanished. I don't know how and when it happened all I know is I didn't feel that anymore. Day by day, my love and loyalty to my teachers and friends become stonger. I don't feel that I am only a student but I feel that I am a part of this institution. Now, we are approaching the end of this journey so I owe you all my teachers and friends and those who gave me a hand to change myself positively. I can't reward you but I will always be thankful for the rest of my life. Thank you to those who accompany me in this journy specially to my teacher and guide ( to you Steve). You were a friend and brother before being a teacher. You tought me how is a good teacher look like.Thank you again from the bottom of my heart.

4 comments:

CJB said...

Makes everything else worth it. I'm also sure she is absolutely right.

Vilges Suola said...

She's far from run of the mill: academically gifted, kind and empathetic and drop dead beautiful.

Bo said...

That is LOVELY!!!

Vilges Suola said...

Isn't it! She is a lovely person.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin