Thursday, 3 April 2014

Reformulation?


When correcting a piece of student writing, you have a number of options: correction codes, cheery exhortatory comments, or correcting every spelling error, missing word and misuse of those damnable electronic dictionaries. An alternative to slathering it with corrections and underlinings is reformulation. This is when you rewrite the student's work according to your interpretation of what he's trying to say, then 'conference' (FFS) with him to see if you were right. I was going to do this for Abdulrahman's latest offering, but decided it would probably violate the union's work-to-contract ruling if I did. Should anyone out there feel equal to the challenge, here's a snippet for you to work on:

At this point possible financial Police officer's salaries are not equal to the size of their large. In my opinion, the police officers safer and functionally better then the players understand the functions of its official hierarchy. Players are either laid off or fell when hit by their level. 

Don't expect an answer key: I haven't a clue.

5 comments:

Nik_TheGreek said...

Is there a fine line when you want to correct someone but not completely dishearten someone? Specially at younger ages?

Vilges Suola said...

I think that applies at all levels. Sometimes you just have to let it go.

Sarah said...

With stuff like that I just go straight to "conference" and say "Can you tell me what you mean? Cos then I can try and help you say it."

Unfortunately, some students just re-read the line back again and again, as if it's not elucidation but reading ability that is lacking (YOUR reading ability, natch) until I train them out of it.

It means 'conference' can take 30-45 minutes per sentence - which is fine if I'm doing editing rather than teaching, and charging by the hour. (I don't edit for students I teach btw).

As for "salaries are not equal to the size of their large" I have a number of suggestions but all of the bankroll/jellyroll comparison and contrast nature I'm afraid.

Chas said...

It sounds as though he wrote it in his native language and Google-translated.

Vilges Suola said...

I think the 'salaries not being equal to the size of their large' is probably something like 'not commensurate with their effort'. Google translate may well be responsible for this, although I have demonstrated to the group how unreliable it is by posting on the classroom wall some 'translations' by Google into bootleg Arabic, scrambled Somali and pidgin Thai.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin