Friday, 5 July 2013

'...makes it all worthwhile.'

TGIF! At 15.00 hours this afternoon I was hightailing it along the corridors of the David Beckham Building on my way to the station and freedom, last week now a stone removed from my shoe. In the corridors I am often enthusiastically greeted by people I think I don't know from Adam, so I wear what I think of as my 'Mykonos face', the expression of unfocused, vacuous affability that business owners on that pricey Aegean rock feel obliged to evince at all times, lest they offend some returning visitor who patronised their bar or restaurant on one occasion in 1989. Anyway, on my way out I coincided with Hanan coming the opposite way.

'Bye!' she said. 'I was happy today, because you were our teacher!'

You cannot grab and kiss veiled Saudi ladies - you risk being misunderstood. But I felt chuffed to bits for about a minute and a half. At least.

6 comments:

CJB said...

Grand! It does make it all worthwhile. The near-enough abuse that gets slung at teachers by the powers that be is somehow ALWAYS made better by the students. No matter how bad things get, the student remains the reason we do this.

Vilges Suola said...

Indeed. It's only the management that sees us as interchangeable and dispensable.

Alan Tait said...

Happy for you!

Vilges Suola said...

Ta!

The TEFL Tradesman said...

I do remember one Chinese or Japanese student who came up to me at the end of a course, many years ago, and said: "Thanks for the nice ... erm ... teach, teacher."!

Vilges Suola said...

Fair warms the cockles, dunnit?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin