Thursday, 20 September 2012

Testing, testing...

This is an experimental post written using the new Blogger interface which was finally forced on us this morning. It has been threatened since last September, but today the choice to use this or stick with the old one was finally denied us. I hate this new interface with a passion, as much because it was high-handedly wished upon me as for any particular deficiency it might present, for so far after five minute use I haven't come across any. Except one: before, if you had comments, you saw this in the middle of the screen:

2 comments are awaiting moderation.

As a real comment whore, I always looked forward to seeing these bold blue letters. I'd wait a moment before clicking on them, and speculate as to who these remarks might be from. For me, that little blue announcement became, to use that hideously overworked and misapplied term, iconic. Now you have to scan the page to find if anyone has responded, the message is not made to stand out, and the comments, which are the lifeblood of a blog, seem less of an event. I realise that I have little to complain about in life if the only thing presently bugging me is the fact that bloody Google have changed the size and colour of the fonts in a link, but it isn't just that. It's the idiotic desire to fix what ain't bust, and the lack of choice offered to the user, c.f., the irritating and pointless 'timeline' on Facebook, which once you have chosen you cannot escape. I'm looking at the new page here backstage at Blogger, and its vast white spaces and orange lozenges remind me of Easyjet, which I used once and am in no hurry to try again. I've clicked on 'send feedback' and had a moan - actually, two moans - but I know I'm stuck with this new design unless large numbers of people are moved to moan as well.

6 comments:

Cerdo said...

Not sure I am entirely enamoured with this new format, a case of getting used to it. Understood totally about being a "comments whore", me too, but sadly neither blog attracts much commentary nor followers despite plentiful visitors! Those that do however, are greatly appreciated! I must finish off one of my articles for Echoes.

Vilges Suola said...

I think often people don't really know what to say to sound intelligent - I know I don't! The 'comment pending' notification now appears off-side in Easyjet orange...

maria verivaki said...

changes come too fast in the internet age - are we simply becoming too old to accept them?

Vilges Suola said...

Μάλλον.

Candy said...

I'm sick of change - I mean it happens so fast I feel sick. I can barely get my head above water on one interface when it totally changes and I'm drowning again.
I think I may be too old for any of this. I seem to have lost an edge somewhere and am sounding more and more like a dreary old tart mumbling into her menopausal beard and shuffling off to make another pot of soup.

Vilges Suola said...

I am resigned to this new interface but no less irritated by some comments I've read from geeks that the many of us who have expressed exasperation over this change are just luddites and ingrates.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin