Tuesday, 25 January 2011

Tonada de la Luna Llena



Caetano Veloso arranges and performs this song beautifully. Video is a bit naff, but you needn't watch it if you are dancing. My translation is pretty clunky as well, but I'm no poet, so anyone who can do better is welcome to suggest amendments.

Yo vide una garza mora dándole combate al río
Así es como se enamora tu corazón con el mío
Yo vide una garza mora dándole combate al río
Así es como se enamora, así es como se enamora
Tu corazón con el mío, tu corazón con el mío

Luna, luna, luna llena menguante
Luna, luna, luna llena menguante

Anda, muchacho, a la casa y me traes la carabina
Pa' matar a este gavilán que no me deja gallina.

La luna me está mirando, yo no sé lo que me ve
Yo tengo la ropa limpia, ayer tarde la lavé
La luna me está mirando, yo no sé lo que me ve
Yo tengo la ropa limpia, yo tengo la ropa limpia
Ayer tarde la lavé, ayer tarde la lavé

Luna, luna, luna llena menguante
Luna, luna, luna llena menguante

¡Póngate!

***

I saw a black heron struggling against the river,
That's the way your your heart came to love mine.

Full moon, full moon waning...

Go home, boy, and fetch me the rifle,
To kill that hawk that won't leave me a single hen.

The moon is looking at me,
I don't know what she thinks,
My clothes are clean,
I washed them last night.

Full moon, full moon waning,

Set!

2 comments:

max said...

Thanx 4 this translation.
Max

Vilges Suola said...

You're welcome. I'm no poet, I'm afraid.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin