Sunday, 31 January 2010

Losing Followers


I notice another follower - number three in as many weeks - has disappeared from the Friend Connect panel. Dash and drat it, it spoils the symmetry of the thing. I feel like a society hostess whose table has been put quite out by some inconsiderate person contracting diphtheria. The first time this happened, I felt personally responsible. Someone whose blog I liked, and who had said some very nice things about my blog back in the beginning, vanished from the list. I thought, shitbags, I've offended her, or fallen short of her expectations, or somehow shown myself unworthy of her attention. Then another one did the same thing, so I went round and knocked on his blog, and politely asked if he had decided to withdraw or if this was just a computer glitch. It proved to be the latter. He rejoined, and within a few days his mugshot disappeared again. Perhaps the same gremlin did for the two other defectors, but you can't go round people's blogs demanding to know where they've been, like a priest who wants to know why someone hasn't been seen in church for a few Sundays. You'd look a proper knob head. I googled the phenomenon, and apparently, it's a 'known issue', like the reactions and comments vanishing. So, if your picture disappears, it's not because I have decided to ditch you, it's Blogger's fault.

8 comments:

The TEFL Tradesman said...

I'm still with you, mate. In fact I have just given your blog a good plugging, so you're in my debt, Mr Lath.

vilges suola said...

A good plugging was what I needed. Thanks. Where did you plug it, and to whom?

Fionnchú said...

I take this personally too. I made it to 21 (compare your 46!) and then that person dropped out three days later. I wondered what I had posted to offend her. Unreasonable, I know, but I share your bewilderment whether it's a glitch or hidden, karmic payback.

Michael said...

...I'm still somewhat skeptical. But okay. And I'm still following too.

Michael.
Do you hate it too?
"If you're going through Hell, keep going."

vilges suola said...

I go for the glitch explanation as the one that most meets the requirements of Occam's razor. I mean, someone has to decide out of all the blogs s/he follows that somehow one of them is a blot on her blogroll because of one or two posts that have failed to live up to her very high expectations. Is it likely that someone is so high-minded when it comes to blogs?

vilges suola said...

Michael, what is it you are sceptical about?

Argentum Vulgaris said...

I am the same vilges, I know that blogging shouldn't be a numbers game, but I feel quite distraught when I open my dashboard and see a decrease. But be assured, your posts are always of a high standard and very entertaining.

AV

vilges suola said...

@Argentum, thanks very much! I think the disappearing followers are a technical problem in most cases. Hope so anyway.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin