Friday, 12 June 2009

Musical Interlude

A little music, I think, to usher in the weekend. Here are two tracks from CDs I have been playing a lot recently. First is Azam Ali, bless her, with 'In the Garden of Souls' from the eponymous CD. Unfortunately it gets cut off a little before the end, but I like the beginning better anyway - so that's OK. This CD is popular with my Arab students as backgound music to our wrestling with writing skills.    



Next, Tom and Jerry and Flash Gordon dance the Tandava! Well that's what it sounds like to me. This is the movement 'Joy of the Blood of the Stars' from Messaien's extravagant, insane Turangalila Symphony (1949). A title like 'Joy of the Blood of the Stars' should warn you that the thing is slightly barmy, but play it loudly and it doesn't half dispel gloom.     

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin