Thursday, 28 May 2009

Niyaz, Beni Beni

The modes and rhythms of music from Greece, Turkey, Persia, the Arab world and India are the ones I respond to most, the ones that seem to come closest to what I might spontaneously produce if I had any musical ability. ('...if I had learned, I should be a true proficient.') The inside of my head sounds like a mosque crossed with a Greek Orthodox church with Ravi Shankar and Ali Akhbar Khan doing a guest gig. When there's nobody around to listen, I improvise songs, and they always come out like something Homayoun Shajarian might sing if he had no talent. I retain from my teenage days as a 'Baptised-In-the-Holy-Spirit' Christer the ability to speak and sing in tongues, and when I do, it does indeed sound something like Persian. It is no such thing, of course - it's just a load of vaguely Farsi-like syllables. Why anyone believes this non-talent to be a 'gift of the spirit' beats me; it's no different from scat singing. It's something I do while hoovering the living room or walking along thundering main roads where I hope nobody can hear me.

Look, how did you get me on to all this? I just wanted to draw your attention to this here video. It's the wonderful Azam Ali with the band Niyaz, peforming splendidly the Turkish song 'Beni Beni'. I play music in all my lessons and the CD from which this comes is very popular with my Arab students, who all borrow it to rip onto their computers. This week I have been playing 'Diaspora Sefardi' by Hesperion XXI, and this has proven justly popular as well. Thus now my Muslim students are being taught by a homosexual wine-bibber with pagan leanings and seduced by Jewish music. If they only knew.

7 comments:

Bo said...

I think we might actually be the same person. Very odd. I do a lovely minor Lisa gerrard style ululation down in the covered car park.

vilges suola said...

A good place to ululate! There is something about those minor scales (hope that is the correct term) that makes them very satisfying to sing - especially in places with a good echo. I had an empty hallway outside my second basement flat in Athens which was excellent for the chanting of mantras and singing along to Miriam Makeba songs with Xhosa clicks. And all my neighbours were two storeys above me as well as elderly and hard of hearing. If I did that here, I'd probably be served with an ASBO.

The Diva on a Diet said...

I'm beginning to think the inside of your head must be a fascinating place! (And I mean that as a compliment.) This track is wonderful - hypnotic, sensual, sexy - love it. Thanks for sharing!

vilges suola said...

Thanks for the complement, Diva! Glad you liked the track. And thanks for your excellent blog.

em-se15 said...

you should listen this song from sabahat akkiraz a great song and perfect performance
the lyrics are turkish and the ryhtyms are turkish alevi semah rythyms

vilges suola said...

Yes, I have heard her perform this song. She's marvellous.

AYAZZ ALI said...

Marvelous work (Y) keep it up the good work

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin