Thursday, 5 February 2009

Get Well Eventually



Yesterday, climbing the ice-sheeted steps to my flat, I skidded, fell and swore industrial strength oaths, because I had managed to jolt a nerve somewhere between shoulder-blade and cervical spine that has been hammered before; once in a car accident, once when I slept on the floor and trapped it, and two or three times more in the days when I used to use weights. It never quite stops nagging at me, and now I have to move with robot-like deliberation to avoid jarring it again. Anyway, this explains why I am typing this sitting up in bed, with a big cafetiere of black coffee and a bowl of Marks and Sparks Middle-Class Poncy Porridge ‘with cranberries and blueberries’, instead of sitting on a train en route to five hours of academic writing with my Arab students. Actually, even if I had not gone arse over tit on the steps I’d still be here, because the trains were all cancelled this morning, but my bad back means I will not have to go in at all until Monday, even if the snow evaporates by midday. (No chance.)

The view from my window is enchanting, pure Christmas card, and the little square around which these houses sit looks like a huge trifle. When I have finished this coffee, in my own good time, I shall bloody well make another pot. I have over a dozen books as yet uncracked and four days in which to crack them. I am definitely not complaining.

11 comments:

Bo said...

sounds bliss! apart from the shoulder.

Vilges Suola said...

indeed it is! as for the shoulder, it's worth it.

Shahrazad said...

Habibi,Im sorry you are now not as fit as a fiddle. That is correct yes ???

So reading will come in handy . Should we say all happens for a good cause ???You arent complaining??hhmmmmm.Porridge Im not a fan of -Id opt for the blue berries and canberries instead, yummy !
thanks for updating us .wishing you a speedy recovery !

Vilges Suola said...

Thank you for your kind wishes! All in all it isn't too bad - I've wanted a good excuse to stay home and read for quite some time, so now I've got one.

Shahrazad said...

we say that if one really wishes hard enough - he /she usually gets whatever he desires....
Good luck with your reading!

A presto.

PS do you speak Italian??

Vilges Suola said...

Ho lavorato con molti italiani e capisco abbastanza bene, ma non parlo, sfortunatamente.

Mariana said...

Ouch, what a terrible way to finally get some time off. Get well soon. :)

Vilges Suola said...

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I think the appropriate comment here is.........
Chill !

perastika

Mac x

Sarah McKellen of McKellen-Messiniaki Properties said...

Peristika from me too! Looking at the weather reports on snow in UK seems that you might have time in bed to read all your books! Enjoy.

Vilges Suola said...

Thanks a lot!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin