Saturday, 3 January 2009

Exigez l'authentique Bouillabaisse de Colchester



It wouldn’t take much to make me a restauranteur. If I just had the money, the talent, the knowledge, the vision, the staying power and the business brain, I’d be off. I reckon what Britain lacks, Jamie, are the Greek establishments known as ψησταριές (psistaries) and μεζεδοπωλεία (mezedopoleia). The former serve grilled meats, bread, salad, beer and wine, the latter small dishes of mezedes: little salads, savoury pastries, dips and cleverly contrived piquant dishes of meat and fish, to be eaten with bread and sloshed down with beer, wine or ouzo. Every Greek town has them, and they are usually cheap, cheerful and convivial. The food is simple, honest, predictable and not terribly imaginative, but it is tasty and healthy and so priced, at least until recently, as to make dining out a weekly possibility – more, if you are single and reasonably well paid, as I was.

Last week I went with my sister and her bloke (my partner-in-law?) to a pub in their Suffolk village that had served them some choice eats in the last few weeks. It was not especially cheap, but it was nice to know that such an establishment existed within walking distance. I arrived on an icy night after six hours on the train, lugging a suitcase the size of a sarcophagus, from which the fucking wheels had fallen off. I was ready for a log fire, a vat of wine and lots of herby, garlic-perfumed scran. First, there was no log fire. There were candles on the tables, but none was lit. There was no herby, garlicky perfume in the air, and the air was arctic. Other people sat at other tables, guffawing inanely in the way people at other tables always do. Obviously the owner was feeling the pinch, and making no secret of it.

We decided the lack of a fire and candles on the coldest night of 2008 did not bode well, but we missed another obvious clue to the decline of the place. I ordered chicken pâté, which was delicious, and then a fish stew the waitress referred to as ‘booley-base’. It was spelled wrong on the menu as well. The booley-base turned out to be plasticky crustaceans in thin watery stock, like kiddie toys left floating in the bath. I mean, if the staff cannot spell or pronounce an item on their menu, it does not suggest great familiarity with it. So is it my fault for ordering it or theirs for offering it?

On the next table sat an elderly couple and the woman’s father. She was interpreting the menu to the old gentleman. ‘It’s called Perkhan’ she said. ‘Perkhan, look, here.’ I thought I’d missed something, maybe some Persian dish that would have been much more satisfying than the booley-base. But she was talking about the pecan pie on the dessert menu.

Doesn’t this sound snotty… You can’t think about food in England without moaning about how badly fed we are unless we pay trans-nasally, how little we care about this most wonderful of life’s consolations and how we manage to make food yet another aspect of class, rather than a daily sensual pleasure that everybody is entitled to. There are posh, snobby restaurants in Greece of course, but many more where people of all classes are to be found eating the same stuff. There’s a national cooking style that everyone can trust, not an insecure stealing and muddling of other people’s styles such as we have to put up with in the English provinces.

Kaissariani, Athens. Almost every Saturday evening in winter, I went to a taverna there with a friend. I usually had pork tenderloin and she almost always had grilled liver. The restaurant advertised ‘the best retsina in the Balkans’ and the stuff was… sui generis. It came out of huge barrels where it had been stewing for God knows how long. Forget your Semillons, Pinot Grigios and Merlots. This looked sometimes like dry sherry, sometimes like Benylin. Sniff it and you got Zal, Tio Pepe, Kleenopine and Mr Sheen. Taste it and there was varnish, gob-stoppers and liquorice with various ‘flu remedies on the finish. You’d be amazed how morish it was. You drank this with your grilled meat and various salads and tsatsiki, and departed full, pissed, not much worse off financially, and digesting fibre that would go through your alimentary canal like a flock of pigeons. This is my vision for the gastronomic future, Britain, although we can do far better on the wine.

4 comments:

Candy said...

Yes - food and in Greece. I found myself one rather random February evening at a place a called, if I'm not wrong Glyfa. It is from thence that the ferry, since Homer's time has plied its route to Evvia. Dinner - if such a po-faced word can be used - was in the smallest taverna in the world. I chose it because there was a priest in there and he was more l;ieklyto speak English (not, as it turned out) I just said, "Feed me" in a pathetic way and I have NEVER eaten such sublime stuff. Fish that flopped on to the beach and into the frying pan for me, garlic and wild green leaves of something, olive oil and salt. Dessert - Greek yoghurt and honey. Never again in places high and low have I ever felt so blessed by what I was presented with for my evening repast. Wine too - chosen from a selection arrayed on the pelmet.

Vilges Suola said...

Ah, such nostalgia... I get so fed up of UK restaurants, at least of the range I can afford.

Candy said...

I have a place called Alfonso's. It is behind the station and of a weekend morning, it is full of hangovers and loners eating Full English to the manner born. Although I'm not that keen on Typical English Food - known fashionably as honest and simple - there is something abouth Alfonso's simple honesty that is quite nice. Probably the fact that his name is Alfonso!

Vilges Suola said...

No, what passes as honest and simple here is nothing like the honest and simple of Mediterranean food.I have an abiding hatred of the British Sunday lunch, and loathe gravy.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin